Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gemini: Steel Bases

About 3/4 of the way through The Second Assembly, I was having problems with the sculpture twisting when I went to pick it up. One of my professors came up to me and asked me why I wasn't using a steel base to really lock in these pieces. Once I built the base, production jumped 10% and I was able to move my sculpture a lot easier.

So instead of building these sculptures from the concrete up, I decided to go ahead and build the base for them to stand on until we go out and install them.
I also put them on casters, so I can move them around a lot easier, and hopefully without use of the bridge crane.


While I had my camera out, I went ahead and put the two bases on top of each other and created an homage to one of my favorite sculptors, Mark Di Suvero. I call it "Di Suvero's Bench"

No comments: